VOLUNTEER PROJECT INFORMATION – CERRO SECO
Name of the project: Environmental education, reforestation, and animal health programs in a dry tropical forest biological reserve.
Location: Cerro Seco Biological Reserve, 5 minutes from Bahía de Caráquez on the central coast in the Manabí province
Project Description: Cerro Seco is a dry tropical forest biological reserve in Bahía de Caráquez, a small coastal town in the Manabi district of Ecuador that has declared itself an “Ecological City”. The reserve contains one of the best examples of rare tropical dry forest on the coast of Ecuador (only 2 percent of Ecuador’s original dry forest remains intact).
During the coastal school year, which begins around April and lasts though the summer, the reserve takes an active role in environmental education programs especially in the community school located just down the road from the reserve. They organize workshops, work parties, work in schools, and help build and maintain the concept of an eco-city with the local community.
Other work is centered around efforts to reforest the reserve, which is a year-round project.
Range of volunteer tasks: Within the reserve, volunteers can do a variety of tasks, including:
• Work maintaining the trails, reforesting the reserve.
• Investigate, identify and classify native flora and fauna for both scientific purposes and to educate the community. Cerro Seco has books and information for the volunteers to work together to create their own programs and teaching plans.
• Environmental education in local schools during the school year
• From June – September research and observation of humpback whales
• Volunteers interested in veterinary medicine can assist in programs to vaccinate and give medical care to stray dogs.
Minimum amount of time: One month
Minimum level of Spanish required: Basic, but for environmental education projects intermediate is required.
• Transportation from the airport of Quito
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Transportation to the project after class
• Transportation back to Cusco
• Accommodation in a shared apartment (Family house with bedroom, it is possible to have three meals a day for a fee of 30 euros / week during the course).
• Accommodation in a carefully selected bedroom
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, games during the Spanish lessons (once a week)
• Games during the language course
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency number of the local teams are available 24 hours to 24 hours
• The support of our local staff
• A T-shirt from our organization
• The support of our coordinators of our, in advance experimented, programs during and after your trip
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish course
• A ride on horseback or rafting
• Administration costs
• School activities every weekend (extra charge)
• National and international flights
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses for leisure
• Tickets to tourist sites
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN
FLORA AND FAUNA WORK
ECUADOR STUDY AND TRAVEL
Our Office In Germany