VOLUNTEER PROJECT INFORMATION – NIÑEZ Y VIDA
Name of the project: Playing with and caring for children ages 2-5 yrs in preschool
Location: Barrio Toctiuco in Southern Quito (about 20 min from historical district)
Project Description: For almost 30 years, Niñez y Vida provides quality education in Quito’s poor neighborhoods with different preschool sites. We principally work with the Tierra de Hombres preschool. It works under the Montessori model that centers on the interests and learning of each child and their personal growth and development. There are a variety of classrooms and ‘corners’ with activities and games to develop the child’s interests, curiosity and independence. In addition morning and afternoon snacks, as well as lunch, are provided for each child as not all the children receive these meals at home.
Range of volunteer tasks: The main task is to provide help and guidance to the children, and support to the teachers working at the site. This could include playing with the children, supervising them in outdoor activities, reading books to them, helping serve food and snacks, cleaning up after snack, or helping children with art and music projects. For volunteers willing to stay longer than 1 month, a more detailed project could be set up such as a theatre program, as they are equipped with a small stage at the site.
Minimum amount of time: One month.
Minimum level of Spanish required: Intermediate level of Spanish is recommended but all levels are accepted as communicating with young children is quite easy as long as you have a positive attitude.
Other skills required: One must be excited and willing to foster the growth and development of each child, and take a great interest in playing with them.
Schedule: The hours are generally 0800 – 1600 but volunteers can choose to work only in the mornings or only in the afternoons. Mornings are much preferred.
• Transportation from the airport of Quito
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Transportation to the project after class
• Transportation back to Cusco
• Accommodation in a shared apartment (Family house with bedroom, it is possible to have three meals a day for a fee of 30 euros / week during the course).
• Accommodation in a carefully selected bedroom
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, games during the Spanish lessons (once a week)
• Games during the language course
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency number of the local teams are available 24 hours to 24 hours
• The support of our local staff
• A T-shirt from our organization
• The support of our coordinators of our, in advance experimented, programs during and after your trip
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish course
• A ride on horseback or rafting
• Administration costs
• School activities every weekend (extra charge)
• National and international flights
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses for leisure
• Tickets to tourist sites
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN
FLORA AND FAUNA WORK
ECUADOR STUDY AND TRAVEL
Our Office In Germany