SAN JOSE CLINIC VOLUNTEER PROJECT
Name of the project: Clínica San José
Project Description: Clínica San José is a private hospital that serves the wealthier people in Cusco as well as a large number of tourists, as many doctors and nurses also speak English. The hospital has fifty beds available for patients who require extensive hospitalization. In addition, the hospital contains thirty different specialties including cardiology, gynecology/obstetrics and various surgical specialties such as neurosurgery. San José treats an average of eighty to one hundred patients a day. In total, there are twenty nurses and sixty doctors employed as well as laboratory personal of whom fifteen work full time.
Volunteer Responsibilities: The volunteer work available will depend on your level of Spanish as well as your previous experience. Volunteers with less experience can work as nurse assistants and can shadow the doctors as they complete their rounds or consultations. If you already have medical experience and a conversational level of Spanish, you may be allowed to see your own patients. In addition to assisting the medical staff with the care of the patients, volunteers will gain a comprehensive insight into both the medical profession as well as the Peruvian healthcare system.
Minimum Stay Required: 2 weeks
• Pre-Med/ Medical Students
Required Level of Spanish: Basic to Intermediate
Observations and Recommendations: It’s important in this project to be proactive and to work independently because there will not be much guidance. The higher your level of Spanish, the easier it will be to communicate and work with the patients and staff and the better your volunteer experience will be.
Typical Workday Hours: 9am – 1pm or 3pm – 7pm
• Transportation from Cusco airport
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Introduction to project with in country coordinator
• First accommodation option in a volunteer shared apartment
• Second accommodation option in a host family (for an additional 50 dollars/week- three meals included)
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, game nights (once a week)
• Horseback riding or white water rafting excursions
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency contact available 24 hours a day
• The support of our local staff and coordinators
• A T-shirt from our organization
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish level after classes
• Administration costs
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses
• Tickets to tourist sites
• Extra tours or excursions
Option: If you would like our organization to arrange your flight from Lima to Cusco and an overnight stay in a hotel in Lima, the extra cost will amount to 327 dollars.
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
If you would like our organization to arrange your flight from Lima to Cusco and an overnight stay in a hotel in Lima, the extra cost will amount to 327 dollars.
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN
FLORA AND FAUNA WORK
ECUADOR STUDY AND TRAVEL
Our Office In Germany